Sunday, December 14, 2008

Training Withdrawals

So today I didn't get to train Strata on his weave poles. I woke up later than I wanted to, and I got home after dark. For our last session (not up on YouTube/blog yet) I rotated the poles to make it more difficult for him and he continued to nail it. It seems like it should not be this easy! He has never been what I would consider an "easy dog" to shape behaviors like this with, but he caught on so quickly and continues to exceed expectations.

I have tomorrow off and intend to squeeze in at least 3 training sessions. My goal is to get him extremely solid on 4 poles and get them close to the point where they will be in a straight line. Also, with the improvement in weather I can bring the poles to the backyard to try things out in a "new" setting. The front yard is actually tougher and a lot more visually stimulating (cars, pedestrians, etc.) so I am really not concerned about the move. I do have other locations in mind to test him further, but nothing "convienient", so I'll just make do with my yard for now. (Kinda hard to keep trying new locations when you don't drive. Walking with two sets of 2x2s and a springy Sheltie for more than a few yards is impossible!)

2 comments:

Jules said...

you need a little red wagon to tote your stuff in. :-P

Cat, Tessie, & Strata said...

I have Tessie's weight pull cart. AHA, she can pull it while I walk Strata! Brilliant!